Saturday, February 21, 2015

Simply Saturday: Reliving Your Childhood

Well it's Saturday morning and the work week has ended.  Today I'm in bed finishing up my Saturday morning routine.  I watch my quilt show on PBS, followed by a sewing show and painting with Yarnell.  PBS has been a staple in my life since childhood.  It's what we watched before their were nickJr, Disney, and all of the media outlets that children are watching these days.  

What's amazing is the relevance of PBS, 48 years later is still the same.  My children watched PBS and enjoyed the same shows that I did as a child.  In raising children, we often get caught up in the latest fads, and creating busyness that's unnecessary.  I often speak of reclaiming childhood, because it's in childhood that the true nature of a person is developed and most apparent.  



What did you spend time doing as a child? What drew your interest? How have you shared those childhood experiences with your children, grandchildren, nieces, and nephews?   

Here are a few childhood experiences that I enjoyed, and my children are experiencing them as well.
Playing board games:  Sorry, Trouble, Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Checkers, Go,  Hi Ho Cherry O, Scrabble, Life, Monopoly and the list goes on..
Playing outside in the neighborhood
Pretend Play in the house with my sisters
Building tents and forts
Playing with legos
Reading, Reading, Reading all the time
Going to the park
Visiting the museum and exploratorium
Going to the Zoo
Taking a drive
Creating artwork masterpieces
Painting with watercolors
Playing with Playdoh

So here's the Simply Saturday challenge for the week:
1.  Spend time today reliving a childhood experience.  You can relive it by getting out and doing it.  Journaling about it. Sitting and just reminiscing on the experience.
2.  Share it with someone by telling of the experience and what it reawakened in you.  
3.  Write a post on Facebook or twitter with the hashtag#SimplySaturdayChildhood


Simply Saturday
#SimplySaturdayChildhood

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave a comment, share your story, or just check in.